This is one of the most commonly asked questions we get. Unfortunately, the range of pricing is so wide that the best answer is typically ‘It depends.’ Here are some things to consider when pricing any type of vehicle scale.
- What are you weighing? Is it corrosive?
- How heavy are the trucks being weighed? Do you need special sizing?
- How many trucks will be weighed per day?
- How much space do you have available?
- Do you need accessories? These include things like outdoor digital scoreboards to read weight, ticket printing kiosks, guard rails, traffic lights, scale house, etc.
- What kind of data collection do you need?
- Are you most concerned about up-front price or total cost of ownership over a period of time?
For simple applications where foundation work (an expensive component to the installation) is minimal and small amounts of weighing are being done, you may see a project as low as $50,000 – $60,000.
For tough soil conditions where remediation will be needed or heavy use / more customized applications are necessary, you could easily see projects exceeding $100,000+. That said, the vast majority of projects wind up in the $65,000 – $85,000 range.
Is a conversion an option?
For those with existing truck or rail scales, some models may be eligible for a conversion kit.
If the existing foundation and deck of your scale are in good condition, a conversion kit allows System Scale to replace all of the electrical components of your scale, leaving you with essentially a new scale, including the same warranty that would be included with a new scale…at a fraction of the cost.
By eliminating foundation work, almost all freight (since nothing large is being shipped), and specialized equipment used in placing the scale, etc., you wind up with a project that is oftentimes less than half of a new truck scale. But again, that includes all of the same benefits and warranty as a new scale.
Whether you’re looking for a truck scale, rail scale, or are interested in a conversion, System Scale can help determine what solution best meets your needs. If you’d like to explore which option would be best for you, please Contact Us today!